Firing Your Criminal Attorney

May 7, 2015

Firing Your Criminal Attorney

When you find yourself in need of a philadelphia criminal lawyer, you have two choices: you can hire one or you can have the courts appoint one to you. If you currently have an attorney representing you that you feel is not handling your case correctly, you will need to release or fire him/her before hiring another one. You shouldn’t have to pay for an attorney that is not representing your best interests, after all. However, before you fire your attorney, you will want to consider the complications it may cause. Criminal issues are very serious and releasing your attorney may not be the best decision.

Talk to your attorney.

Before releasing him/her, schedule an appointment to talk it over with him/her. If there has been a miscommunication, maybe you can clear it up. Most lawyers will work with you to try to resolve the issue.

Keep in mind that if your attorney is court appointed, you may not be able to fire or release him/her. You will need to prove to the courts that he/she is not doing a proper job. The judge will most likely not let you switch without a really good reason.

If you plan to hire an attorney and currently have a court-appointed one, you can release him/her at any time. You do have the right to hire private counsel. Just call the court appointed one- in most cases, they will be willing to exchange information with your new attorney. Just ask Montoya Shaffer.

Tips to Fire a Private Attorney

Read Your Contract

When you want to fire your private counsel, you need to look over the contract. A contract should have been provided to you when you hired representation. Of course, you can fire an attorney for any reason at all. Be sure to read the contract regarding fees. Depending on the amount of time that has been invested, you may not be entitled to a refund.

Notify the Attorney

firedOnce you’ve decided to fire your philadelphia criminal lawyers, you need to let him/her know immediately. You don’t want them to keep working on your case. Depending on where you are in your case, you may need to get a copy of your file for your new attorney. This may take a few days, so do it as soon as possible.

Hire a New Attorney or Request a Court Appointed One

If you are firing your private counsel because you can no longer afford them, contact the Public Defender’s office to request court appointed counsel.

If you’re hiring other private counsel, you should do so right away. Delaying this will look bad to the courts. If you hire and fire attorneys too many times, the court may not allow it, depending on the status of your case. They may see it as you trying to waste time and/or resources.

  • 0